"This extraordinary trek takes from Rara Lake, Nepal's biggest lake, to Khatpad National Park, a hidden gem in far west Nepal."
Rara to Khaptad trekking both national park is surrounded by alpine vegetation and offers varieties of flora and fauna more than 500 species of flowers, 20 species of mammals and 214 species of birds are recorded in the Rara national park area.
Rara Khaptad Circuit Trek: Rara National park and Khaptad National Park are two important protected sites in mid and far western Nepal. The New route aim s to link two of Nepal's tourist destinations that are still shadow despite having immense pote Nital. the journey begins with flights to Talcha Airport in mugu from Nepalgunj which is easily accessible from Kathmandu via land and aerial routes.
Highlights of Rara Lake and Khatpad Circuit Trek
- Beauty of Rara Lake.
- Experience real Nepalese culture and lifestyle.
- The peaceful scenic landscape of Khaptad.
- Tibetan religious sites
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu (1,300 m) at Tribhuvan international airport and transfer to hotel. O/N at hotel.
Our representative from Sherpa expedition and trekking will be there at the airport to welcome you and transfer to your desired hotel. Reaching upon your desired hotel relax and freshen up yourself after your long flight, you will be then invited to visit our office for a briefing about your trek program and a short meeting with your guide.
Day 02: Flight from Kathmandu to Nepalgunj 50 minutes flight.
Nepalgunj can be reached after flight of 50 minutes from Kathmandu. regular Bus service is also available from Kathmandu.
Day 03: Fly from Nepalgunj to Talcha 45 minutes flight and Trek to Rara lake 3 to 4 hrs.
Take a Flight to Talcha of mugu. The 45 minutes flight offers the views of amazing landscapes. Trek towards Rara lake. the trek trekkers around three and half hours to reach Rara Lake overnight at a tent.
Day 04: Excursion around Rara lake.
Today, early in the morning after having breakfast, you can explore the Rara Lake, the largest Lake in Nepal. This beautiful Lake has a deep freshwater and situated at the altitude of 2990m. The surface of this amazing Rara Lake is around 8 square Kilometer which is also considered as a unique spot in Nepal. The Lake is situated in the National Park which offers you to visit different flora and fauna such as; various bird species, rhododendron flowers, wildlife; Himalayan bears, Red Panda and musk deer and so on. You can also have an experience of remoteness and wilderness in the Rara Lake. As you explore the Rara Lake, and then you will trek towards Murma Top from where you can have a splendid view of the area lake and mountains. Finally, you will return back to Lake and stay overnight at Rara Lake.
Day 05: Trek to Sirkot 6 to 7 hrs.
Walk downhill toward Khaytad flowing the Khaytad River. After reaching Majghat walk downhill until Murma . Head towards Serkot passing thought Jhaudi Khola, Bapani, Nigalbot, and Masane overnight at Tent.
Day 06: Sirkot to Jholunge Pul (1400m), 7 hrs
Today, after breakfast we will head towards jholunge pul from Sirkot. It will take around 7 hours of walk to reach the Jholunge Khola which is situated at an elevation of 1400 meter.
Day 07: Trek to Kolti 6 to 7 hrs.
Cross the Karnali River on suspension Bridge and entre Bajura district. Continue to Kurane Jugala via Chepi Village. head towards Kolti passing though Alange chaur, Chulighat Badhu, Badhu Bagar, Badhu Matela, Pipal Dali, Raut Badhu and Partola.
Day 08: Trek to Martadi 9-10 hrs.
Next morning, after breakfast, we will leave Kolti and heads towards Martadi, which is situated at the elevations of 1591m. Today we need to have a long trek, it takes around 10 hours to reach Martadi. Overnight at Martadi.
Day 9: Martadi to Dogadi 6 hrs.
As morning rises, we will have breakfast and makes our trail towards Dogadi, which is situated at the summit of 1490m. Today’s trail will be slightly down towards Dogadi. Around 6 hours trail will lead us to the Dogadi and stay overnight at Dogadi.
Day 10: Trek to Khaptad campsite from Dogadi.
In this day, after morning breakfast, we will find out our destination. We will leave Dogadi and heads towards Khaptad Camp Site, situated at an elevation of 3020m. Today we need to make around 8 to 9 hours up the trail towards Khaptad Campsite. Overnight at Khaptad Camp Site.
Day 11: Explore Khaptad National Park and Khaptad Lake.
Today, after early breakfast, we can explore the Khaptad National Park. We will visit Khaptad Museum and trek towards Khaptad Danda and visit Patan and Tower. You can experience extraordinary eco-system with a huge variety of Vegetation ranging from the sub-tropical forest. Khaptad National Park has recorded more than 224 species of medicinal herbs and 270 species of birds and various mammal’s species. The National Park is rich in various flora and fauna which offers you to encounter with various wildlife and discovers various plants. After you explore the National Park, you will walk around 2 hours to reach Khaptad Baba’s Ashram and Triveni. There you will meet with Khaptad baba and learn religious and social philosophical discourse from Baba. Overnight at Camp.
Day 12: Trek to Bajhang (Tamail) 9 hrs.
As morning rises, we will have breakfast and continue our trail towards Bajhang. The way to Bajhang, you need to walk around 9 hours through the beautiful forest and various settlements. Then you will reach to Bajhang and explore the Banjhang. Overnight at Bajhang.
Day 13: Drive to Dhangadi 10 hrs drive.
In this day, after morning breakfast, we will end our trek and heads towards Dhangadhi. Around 9 hours walk will take you to the Dhangadi, a village development committee in Siraha District in the Sagarmatha Zone of south-eastern Nepal
Day 14: Flight or Drive to Kathmandu.
In this day, you will end your trek and return back to Dnangadi and then to Kathmandu. Around 1-hour air flight for Kathmandu will once offer you stunning mountains vistas and some lively settlements. When you reach Kathmandu airport then you will be taken to the same Hotel as our representative. Stay overnight at the hotel.
Day 15: Transfer to Tribhuwan International Airport.
Today as per your international flight time, our Sherpa Expeditions and Trekking staff will transfer you to the airport for your final departure from Nepal the Land of High Himalaya.
- Seasonable Sleeping bag and down Jacket (If you need it but has to be returned after the trek)
- Duffle bag (We will provide duffle bag during the trek Sherpa Expedition & Trekking need to be returned after the trek)
- A wind and waterproof thin layered jacket (Must have for morning and evening above 3,000m)
Upper Body- Head / Ears / Eyes
- A pair of half gloves
- A warmer hat that covers the ears
- Neck warmer
- Sunscreen (35 to 60 SPF)
- Headlamp and an extra set of batteries
- A pair of half gloves for walking poles(if you prefer)
- Warmer shell gloves and liner
- long sleeve t-shirts
- Thermal Tops
- wool Jackets or pullover
- Artificial sports bras for (Women and girls)
- Water and windproof shell jacket
- Thermal underwear (especially trousers)
- windproof and waterproof trousers
- warmer trouser
- Comfortable trekking pants
- Extra casual sport pants
- A pair of good waterproof trekking boots
- Pair of sandals
- 4-5 pairs of woolen socks
- Socks liner
- Light shoes and sneaker
First Aid Kits and Medicines
- Assorted Adhesive Bandages (fabric preferred)
- Blister treatment
- Insect testing / anti-itch treatment
- Ibuprofen / other pain-relief medication
- Diamox (125mg to 250mg tablets for altitude sickness)
- Warps, splints, and wound coverings butterfly bandage
- Water purifying pills
(Note our company guide will carry the medicines and first aid kits during the trek. However we recommend better to bring your personal first-aid kit as well)
Miscellaneous, but must useable
- 4 pic passport sizes with original passport
- Water bottle & filter
- Flight details (please make a copy and leave one pic at our office in KTM because of if you won to change your flight date)
- Bathroom kit (conform, should be included Toilet papers put on the plastic bag, hand wipes, towel, and soap, etc.)
- Comfortable trekking poles
- Best energy dry foods (up to you)
- Power Bank and music players
- Camera (Memory card, chargers and extra batteries)
1. Trekking equipment
The Following information will give you some idea about what you need to bring for the trek as the backpack for the hiking in Nepal and the gear play a vital role for the successful trip and we suggest you to have all the necessary gear for the trip and not to have unnecessary equipment/things that you will not be using for the trip and list of the gear you need for the trek are:
- Good down Sleeping bag (Optional/we can provide one if you do not have on your own and it is to be returned after the trek.
- Duffel or Rucksack bag to keep your all the gear and this will be carried by the porters.
- Daypack bag for yourself
- A down Jacket
- Shade hat
- Warm wool hat to cover your ears
- A pair of lightweight warm gloves.
- T-shirts 2- 3 pieces
- Lightweight thermal tops.
- Fleece jacket.
- Fleece Wind-proved jacket (optional).
- A pair’s nylon hiking shorts which are quick drying one
- Two pairs of lightweight long underwear.
- Two pairs trekking pants, preferably that zip on/off at the knees so they double as shorts
- Four pairs of liner warm socks
- A pair of light to medium weight waterproof hiking/trekking boots.
- A pair of light trekking shoes for camp/lodges
- A pair sandal (Optional)
- A water bottle.
- Head/Torch Light.
2. Medicines and First Aid Kits
- Extra Strength Excedrin for altitude-related headaches like DMX.
- Ibuprofen for general aches and pains.
- Imodium or Peptone besom, Flexon capsules for upset stomach or diarrhea.
- Diamox 125 or 250mg or 400mg tablets for altitude sickness.
- 1 small personal sized first-aid kit with blister treatments such as moleskin, band-aids, some waterproof tape, anti-infection ointments, etc.(Sherpa expedition and Trekking company's team also provide first aid kits)
3. Miscellaneous but Important
- Passport and extra passport photos (4 copies)
- Durable wallet/pouch for travel documents, money & passport.
- Lip care (Balm) At least SPF 20, 2 sticks.
- Sun’s cream with SPF 40 is recommended
- Pocket knife.
- Water purification Iodine tablets
- Toiletry kits and be sure to include toilet paper stored in a plastic bag, hand wipes, and liquid hand sanitizer, towel, soap, etc.
Note Regarding Itineraries:
Although we generally adhere to the schedule, the itinerary is subject to change for numerous reasons beyond our control, including weather and terrain conditions, suitable campsite availability, and the group's general fitness level. It is important to understand that our trek is logistically complex and it is not unusual that adjustments be made. Our guide will orient you each evening to the following day's plan and their good judgment is the key to the long history of successful treks that Sherpa Expedition & Trekking Pvt. Ltd. Please remember that our ability to make adjustments as needed helps to ensure that your trek is safe and successful. Your safety is paramount.