16th February, 2024
Nov 14, 2023
Trekking in Nepal during the monsoon season (June to August) can be a unique and rewarding experience. While it is true that the monsoon brings heavy rainfall and cloudy conditions, there are still some trekking options available that offer beautiful landscapes and cultural experiences. Here are some popular trekking destinations in Nepal during the monsoon season:
1. Upper Mustang Trek: Located in the rain shadow region of the Annapurna region, Upper Mustang offers a dry and arid landscape even during the monsoon season. This trek allows you to explore the ancient Tibetan culture, visit ancient monasteries, and witness the stunning beauty of the Mustang region.
2. Dolpo Trek: Dolpo is another rain shadow region trek that remains relatively dry during the monsoon season. The trek takes you through remote villages, beautiful landscapes, and the Shey Phoksundo National Park, which is home to the deepest lake in Nepal.
3. Rara Lake Trek: Rara Lake, located in the far-western region of Nepal, is a stunning destination that can be visited during the monsoon season. The trek offers pristine forests, alpine meadows, and the beautiful Rara Lake itself.
4. Langtang Valley Trek: Although the Langtang region receives some rainfall during the monsoon, it is still a viable option for trekking. The Langtang Valley offers breathtaking views of mountains, lush forests, and the opportunity to experience the unique Tamang culture.
5. Annapurna Circuit Trek: While the lower parts of the Annapurna Circuit may experience rainfall during the monsoon, the upper parts, such as Manang and Mustang, remain relatively dry. This trek offers diverse landscapes, stunning mountain views, and the opportunity to cross the Thorong La Pass.
6. Ghorepani Poon Hill Trek: This popular trek in the Annapurna region can be done during the monsoon season. The trek takes you through charming villages, terraced fields, and offers stunning sunrise views from Poon Hill.
7. Langtang Gosainkunda Trek: This trek combines the beautiful Langtang Valley with the sacred lakes of Gosainkunda. While there may be some rainfall, the trek is still possible during the monsoon season.
8. Makalu Base Camp Trek: Located in the eastern part of Nepal, the Makalu Base Camp trek offers stunning views of Makalu, the fifth highest mountain in the world. This trek remains relatively dry during the monsoon.
9. Kanchenjunga Trek: This challenging trek takes you to the base camp of the third highest mountain in the world, Kanchenjunga. The eastern region of Nepal experiences less rainfall during the monsoon, making this trek possible.
10. Upper Dolpo and Shey Gompa Trek: This remote and restricted area trek offers a unique cultural and natural experience. The region experiences less rainfall during the monsoon, allowing for a possible trek.
It is important to note that trekking during the monsoon season comes with some challenges. The trails can be muddy and slippery, leeches may be present in some areas, and there is a possibility of landslides or road closures. It is recommended to trek with a knowledgeable guide, be prepared with proper gear, and stay updated on weather and trail conditions.
Overall, trekking in Nepal during the monsoon season can be an offbeat and adventurous experience, allowing you to explore less crowded trails and witness the beauty of Nepal's diverse landscapes.